Emails are an integral part of any communication system, and the CRM is perhaps the most important system which relies on email. Taking this into account, we’ve decided to focus on making emails into and out-of Jetpack CRM simple, reliable, device-friendly, and managed.
This means that rather than just relying on whatever means your WordPress install has of sending emails, we needed to build in a ‘Mail Delivery manager’. Next we realised that it was super important that each and every email sent out of the CRM to be fully customisable. That lead to us writing a fresh ‘Mail Template manager’. Both of these features were release in v2.80, and are now defaults for outbound emails from Jetpack CRM.
While this may all seem like ‘more setup’, it’s actually pretty legit straight out-of-the-box, and will still send out any system email cleanly.
… but what it allows is:
Reliable, Scalable, Email Delivery
It’s all well and good your server sending out 4 emails a week to a few clients. This usually works okay. But if any of these apply, email delivery becomes a big challenge:
- Shared hosting woes (other people on your server might get your emails blacklisted, by spamming or other nefarious activity)
- Sending out large quantities/unlimited emails – anyone trying to do this from a even a dedicated server will know that this doesn’t work well. Most go undelivered, often your server gets blocked/banned (and if it’s a common provider like outlook.com or gmail.com – all of your customers on that email provider WON’T be getting your emails!)
And our Mail Delivery Manager begins to solve this….
Mail Delivery Manager:
From v2.80 of Jetpack CRM you can now manage your mail delivery options manually. This means, basically, that you can add multiple ‘FROM’ email addresses that can send out mail from your CRM.
Currently you can add any email address that has a SMTP account, and send email from that email address.
This has the following benefits:
- Emails come from an actual mail provider, not a generic server (more likely skip spam)
- Emails can go through large-scale delivery machines like Amazon’s SES, SendGrid, or MailGun, (far improved deliverability & scale)
- If you use a mailbox, you can actually see all of the sent emails in your ‘sent’ folder (if desired)
- Emails can come from different email addresses depending on what they’re for, e.g. Invoice notifications can come from ‘email@example.com’, where as simple message emails can come from ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’.
- Mail Campaigns v2.0 Ready – In Mail Campaigns V2 (launch due June 2018), your mail can come from any validated SMTP source. This manager seamlessly integrates with MC2.
After ensuring that your mail GETS to your clients, the next thing to deal with is to ensuring the mail looks great every single send. Enter, Mail Templates.
You could, in earlier versions of Jetpack CRM, modify some of the system email templates, but before v2.80 you couldn’t change them all, and the process was slow and ugly. Mike’s fixed all that, and you can now effortlessly modify all outbound system emails via the Mail Template Manager:
This is a centralised repository for templates for all system emails such as:
- Quote Notification (to client)
- Invoice Notification (to client)
- Quote Accepted Notification (to your back office)
- Task/Schedule/Event Notifications (participants)